Independent Power Boat Forum
Welcome To the Independent Power Boat Club (IPBC) Forum Please login to your account
Welcome To the Independent Power Boat Club (IPBC) Forum Please login to your account

https://ipbc.forumotion.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trivia

+6
oletyma
flagfall
The Spook
doug (tiller steer)
torkan-hydro
admin
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Fri 28 May 2010, 1:58 pm

torkan-hydro

Admiral
Admiral

thats a flexible prop shaft hooked up to an adjustable skeg.with a lightweight counter balanced prop..theres no problem there at all bob see how the prop is still at the right angle..

52Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sat 29 May 2010, 3:18 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Ahhhh, the wonders of technology. It advances so quickly these days its hard to keep up.

53Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sat 29 May 2010, 3:45 pm

torkan-hydro

Admiral
Admiral

bob how did you go with the paint job??..its starting to get too bloody cold now for our type of spray booths....my mate and his boat are ok for next weekend..might have sum extra helpers too..cheers..

54Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Tue 01 Jun 2010, 12:03 pm

Q 1

Midshipman
Midshipman

Am I too late, or is the log boat pictured at Windsor called "merlin" and is another from Darryl Brown's stable?

On the hydro pic above, yes I too had one of those type of shafts although the prop angle was variable according to engine revolutions - quite novel I felt..

55Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:15 am

oletyma

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

No. it was Ray Jones' and he had not given it a name. The project was incomplete at the time of his death.

56Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 02 Jun 2010, 4:43 am

Q 1

Midshipman
Midshipman

Pooh, bad guess eh?

57Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sat 12 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

admin

admin
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Whos up?

58Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sun 13 Jun 2010, 4:44 am

oletyma

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Technically it's me but as we need more players I'm leaving the questions and answers to others for the time being. Otherwise we'll become inbred.

59Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Mon 27 Sep 2010, 12:23 pm

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Whats the capacity of a Rolls Royce Griffin engine?

60Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:49 am

Reklaw

Reklaw
Acting Sub Lieutenant
Acting Sub Lieutenant

It's 37 litres according to Wiki. They referred to the merlin as "the smaller engine" at just 27 litres.

61Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:43 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

The merlin did a remarkable job really when you consider that the two best known German fighters, the Messerschmidt BF 109 had a 39 liter engine and the Fockewolfe 190 had an engine over 40 liters. The Spitfire changed over to the Griffon at MK 14 which was about 1942 I think.

Interestingly the only factory which was still making 109's after the war was in Spain and they couldnt get the German engine any more so they went to the British and were sold Merlin engines for them. They went pretty well, there is a utube clip of one.

Spook

62Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:19 am

admin

admin
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

63Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:30 am

admin

admin
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Warm up of Mustang P-51 and Messerschmitt BF109 on Rygge Airshow 2007,Norway.
The 109 is actually a Spanish built version with a RR Merlin engine.

64Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Reklaw I know that its your turn but I'll ask a question anyway.

What is peculiar about the mounting of the Daimler engine in the Messerschmidt BF109?

Spook

65Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Tue 12 Oct 2010, 11:38 am

Little Lucifer

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

i know its not my turn but back to the merlin thay allso made a smaller one what was that called ?

66Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 13 Oct 2010, 7:37 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Rolls Royce experimented with a lot of engines. There was one which was 21 liters and was called the Kestrel. They also experimented with two Kestel blocks bolted together in an "X" configuration which gave a capacity of 42 liters.

The Merlin was supposed to be a stopgap engine while they tried to sort out engines such as the "X" configuration and Griffon. However once they got started on the Merlin it was so good that they scrapped the "X" configuration and went with the Merlin and continued to develop the Griffon at a slower pace until it was ready in about 1942. By this stage the Merlins in the Spitfires were going about as hard as they could reliably go and the decision was made to change the Spitfires over to the Griffon. The Merlin continued to be used in Hurricanes, Mosquito's, P51's and Lancaster bombers.

The reliability of the Merlin was apparently one of its biggest assetts. Rolls Royce continually tested the Merlins to destruction. They would get an engine off the production line and set it up on their engine test bed, put the appropriate propeller on it and then start the engine and run it to maximum revs (3000 rpm) and run it non stop until it failed. Once it failed they would pull the engine down and work out why it failed. Each time they would redesign the part that failed and put that new part into the engines on the production line, when the upgraded engine came off the production line they would repeat the process again. This continued and continued and continued until the engine was almost indestructable apart from enemy fire. The story goes that the Lancaster bombers could fly all the way from England to Berlin or any other German city (at maximum revs) and back again and not lose an engine to anything other than enemy fire.

67Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sat 16 Oct 2010, 1:31 pm

torkan-hydro

Admiral
Admiral

Little Lucifer wrote:i know its not my turn but back to the merlin thay allso made a smaller one what was that called ?
minature??

68Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Tue 19 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm

Little Lucifer

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

i got a mate and after the war he worked in scrap he pulled down heaps of brand new merlins and one day 2 smaller 1 s came in he couldnt help himself and took one home he kept it for a few years lots of people tried to bye it in the early 70s he sold it to some bloke who was going to put it in a boat?when i see him next i will ask him if he rembers what it was

69Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 22 Dec 2010, 8:40 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Simon

I'd be inetrested to know what it was.

Spook

70Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Thu 13 Jan 2011, 3:38 pm

admin

admin
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin#Variants

71Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Sat 15 Jan 2011, 1:55 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

I'm disappointed, no one has attempted to answer the question about the BF109 Daimler engine.

Spook

72Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Thu 20 Jan 2011, 4:56 am

oletyma

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

INVERTED v-12.

73Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Thu 20 Jan 2011, 9:39 am

The Spook

The Spook
Admiral
Admiral

Oletyma

Thats right, its upside down in the plane.

Spook

74Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Mon 31 Jan 2011, 2:16 am

oletyma

Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Guess it's my turn. Be careful, this question might be, just might be, sneaky.
Which limited class boat was the first in the world to officially exceeed 100 mph?

75Trivia - Page 3 Empty Re: Trivia Wed 16 Feb 2011, 10:33 am

flagfall

flagfall
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

"Paul Sawyer was the first driver, reaching that benchmark in 1950 and again in 1951"
Alter Ego F-211
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/maynard.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum